Fund will help preserve St. James Meeting House
The church was the first Episcopal church in Ohio, built in 1828.
BOARDMAN -- An endowment at Boardman Park will help preserve one of the township's most notable landmarks.
The W. Fenton Meredith Memorial Fund for the benefit of St. James Meeting House was created through a bequest from W. Fenton Meredith, a lifelong township resident who died in April 2005. It totals more than 200,000 to ensure the building is preserved and maintained.
Meredith was a student of genealogy and the area's history. In 1969, he wrote and published "Think of These Things: An Appreciation of Historic St. James Episcopal Church."
The work has been credited with providing the conceptual basis for the preservation of the church, moved to the park in 1972.
"He had a deep appreciation of the St. James Meeting House," said Dan Slagle Jr., Boardman Park superintendent. "He really had a big place in his heart for St. James."
The church was the first Episcopal church in Ohio, built in 1828 by the family of Elijah Boardman for whom the township is named.
When it moved to the park, it was renamed St. James Meeting House. The building is one of the area's most popular locations for weddings and other gatherings.
The memorial fund is a component fund of the Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley. Additional contributions will be accepted by the foundation, 1 W. Federal St., Youngstown 44503, in any amount and may be made as memorials or in honor of a person or event.
The foundation is operated exclusively for charitable, educational and scientific purposes that assist and promote the well-being of residents of Mahoning and Trumbull counties.