2 Winona firefighters injured battling blaze


WINONA -- Two Winona Fire Department firefighters were injured while battling a fire that caused an estimated 80,000 damage to a two-story wood-frame farmhouse on Carey Road.
Winona Fire Chief Willie Brantingham said one fireman twisted his knee when he slipped on ice on the roof of a garage attached to the house, and a second was taken to Salem Community Hospital for observation.
The fire was reported at 1:35 p.m. Thursday by Dan Lease, who was sleeping in a bedroom over the garage when he was awakened by smoke. He was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation. The house, at 30807 Carey, is owned by Dan's brother, Scott Lease, who was not home at the time of the blaze.
Brantingham said the fire ignited on the second floor in a chimney for a wood stove. He said the majority of structural damage was on the second floor.
The chief said his department was at the scene until about 6:15 p.m. Assistance was provided by fire departments from Damascus, Salem, Hanover Township, North Georgetown and Beloit.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.