Captured ex-fugitive enters no plea
He was charged with several attempted murder counts.
BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- A former fugitive suspected of fatally shooting a state trooper and wounding two others made his first court appearance Saturday, a day after surrendering in a field over the Pennsylvania state line following a five-month manhunt.
Ralph Phillips, who once threatened to "splatter pig meat all over Chautauqua County" in upstate New York and was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List, was charged in Chemung County with eight counts, including attempted aggravated murder, first-degree attempted murder and second-degree attempted murder, in the shooting of a state trooper in June.
Phillips, 44, known as Bucky, did not enter a plea.
Dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit, the exhausted and unshaven suspect either looked at the floor or closed his eyes during the 12-minute arraignment. He was shackled at the ankles, with his wrists handcuffed, and was flanked by armed guards. Earlier in the day, he was turned over to state police after appearing before a federal judge in Buffalo.
"He will get his day in court, and he will be held accountable," said District Attorney John Trice.
Phillips, a career thief who has spent 20 of the past 23 years in state prison, surrendered Friday night, five months after police said he used a can opener to cut his way through a jail ceiling. The arrest capped the state's largest manhunt after a frantic day that included troopers firing at Phillips as he hid in woods.
Officials said Phillips will be kept in a special section of the county jail and will stay in Chemung County for now.
Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.