Chemicals sicken Ravenna workers

RAVENNA (AP) -- An inadvertent mix of cleaning chemicals sent fumes throughout a Portage County administration building, sickening workers and forcing the evacuation of the building.
Sixteen workers were treated at Robinson Memorial Hospital after becoming ill Thursday. The building was closed for the day.
The county says a community service worker cleaning restrooms mistakenly combined chlorine bleach and toilet bowl cleaner, causing a respiratory irritant.
The first person got sick about 11:30 a.m. Within two hours, more people were complaining of headache, shortness of breath and a sore throat.
About 120 Department of Jobs and Family Services employees work in the building.
Several people passed out, said social worker Michelle Gates.
Ravenna is about 30 miles southeast of Cleveland.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.