3 men die, likely from carbon monoxide
Family members found the three men, but they could not get into the house.
By NANCY TULLIS
VINDICATOR STAFF WRITER
YOUNGSTOWN -- "This will break my Dad's heart," Saranac Avenue resident Donald Huston said of the death of his and his dad's neighbor Robert L. Mauzy.
Mauzy, 63, of 64 Saranac Ave., and two other men were found dead Saturday morning in a house at 1640 Kensington Ave., just around the corner from Mauzy's house on the city's North Side.
Dr. David M. Kennedy, Mahoning County coroner, said Mauzy; Ricky Stevens, 47; and an unidentified 30-year-old man probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the house, which the coroner said was Stevens' address.
Kennedy said further investigation and autopsies are needed to determine when and how the men died.
He did not release the name of the third man, pending notification of family members.
Huston, a longtime employee of One Stop Food Mart on Wick Avenue, a few blocks from the Stevens home, said he and his father, James Huston, have lived next door to Mauzy for many years.
Praise for deceased
Donald Huston said Mauzy was "one of the greatest guys I ever met."
"He helped my dad out a lot -- mowed the grass and things like that. He never wanted anything for it. I can't say enough good things about him," Huston said.
The Youngstown Police Department offered few details on the deaths Saturday night. The police also stated they were contacting family members.
Sgt. Rick Alli, YPD public information officer, said some family members called police around 10:55 a.m. Saturday. Looking through a window, family members could see one man in a chair, but they could not get into the home, he said.
Employees and patrons at the One Stop Food Mart said they heard the men may have died sometime Thursday or Friday.
One man who would only be identified as Mike said Mauzy was "a great guy who would help you out if you needed it."