2nd teenager arrested in alleged murder plot

Police believe teenagers intended to kill a school principal on Halloween night.
LEAVITTSBURG -- Another teenager has been arrested in an alleged murder plot that locked down two Trumbull County school districts for more than an hour Thursday.
A 15-year-old Southington High School student was arrested on three charges Friday stemming from his role in an episode that caused the lockdown of the LaBrae and Southington local school districts.
A 15-year-old LaBrae student was also arrested Thursday after police feared he might be acting on a threat to kill a Southington principal. Warren Township police did not release the name of the principal.
The two boys are in the county's Juvenile Justice Center where they are each facing charges of grand theft auto, making terroristic threats and inducing panic, said Lt. Don Bishop of the Warren Township department.
Police became concerned about a plot while they were investigating the LaBrae student's disappearance after his mother reported him missing Monday, Bishop said.
Plot alleged
Police believe that the two boys and at least two other teenagers -- another LaBrae student and a Niles student -- planned to kill the principal on Halloween night, but they could not obtain a gun.
"They were going to go up to his door during trick-or-treat and shoot him when he came to the door," Bishop said. The Southington student was angry because the principal had expelled him from school.
On Thursday morning, the student's mother reported that he had stolen a rental car she was using and was heading for LaBrae High School. Upon arriving at the school, police found the car wrecked and the student gone, Bishop said. Police later determined that he was hiding in the woods behind the high school.
"We weren't taking any chances, so we put the schools into lockdown," he said.
After about an hour, police were able to contact the student on his cell phone, Bishop said. Shortly before 1 p.m., they persuaded him to come out of hiding, and he was taken into custody. The boy had no weapons when he surrendered, and police found no weapons in the car or the surrounding area.
Bishop said there may be more charges filed. "We're not done investigating yet," he said.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.