Scaffold hits line; roofer electrocuted



ALIQUIPPA, Pa. (AP) -- A roofer was electrocuted when his scaffold came into contact with a power line, and police were investigating reports that workers had been warned by a utility company that the scaffolding was unsafe.
Regis Williams, 24, of Pittsburgh, was working for Zeke & amp; Son Roofing & amp; Siding Specialists of Coraopolis when he was knocked off the scaffolding by an electrical jolt about 12:15 p.m. Friday during a residential roofing job.
Williams fell about 30 feet to the ground, but authorities said after he was pronounced dead at Aliquippa Hospital that the electrical shock had killed him.
Aliquippa police Detective Sgt. Don Couch said Duquesne Light officials told investigators that a company representative had told the roofing crew that their metal scaffolding was too close to power lines. Such a scaffold should be at least 10 feet away from any power lines, according to Duquesne Light spokesman Joe Balaban.
Couch said the roofers took the scaffolding down while the official was there, according to the utility, but it was back up when Williams was electrocuted a short time later.
Police were still investigating, and no one has been charged in the case. Officials of the roofing company did not immediately return a message left on an answering machine.
Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.