Chlorine linked to students' illness


McDONALD -- If Thursday's release of granulated chlorine at McDonald High School was intended to be a prank, the would-be prankster will find school officials aren't laughing.
Schools Superintendent Michael Wasser said anyone found to be responsible for the chemical release will face criminal charges.
Seven students became ill Thursday, and hazardous materials investigators found chlorine in the air. The students complained of headaches and nausea and were treated by the school nurse, Carol Augustine.
Wasser said some students went home with parents. School was scheduled to be in session today on regular schedules. Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation investigators, McDonald police and hazardous material crews continue to investigate.
Wasser said he does not think the release of chlorine at the high school Thursday is related to trouble Feb. 2 at Roosevelt Elementary when eight pupils were treated at Forum Health Tod Children's Hospital.
McDonald police, hazardous materials teams and Dominion natural gas company officials checked Roosevelt Elementary thoroughly that day and did not find any problems.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.