Sentencing of ex-major reset for July 25
The move will give Budd's lawyers time to review a presentence report.
YOUNGSTOWN -- A federal judge has rescheduled Michael Budd's sentencing for July 25, which gives lawyers for the ex-Mahoning County Sheriff's Department major time to review a presentence report.
Sentencing for Budd, 44, of Boardman, had been scheduled for July 7 in Cleveland federal court. He was convicted of obstruction of justice and three counts of depriving jail inmates of their right to be free from excessive force.
In a motion filed in federal court, Budd's lawyers, Sebastian Rucci and Martin E. Yavorcik, said they didn't receive the presentence report until June 17. They said court rules require that the report be disclosed no less than 35 days before sentencing. The span allows for objections to the report to be filed and also gives the probation officer time to consider and respond to the objections.
Rucci and Yavorcik asked U.S. District Judge Lesley Brooks Wells to reschedule the sentencing and hold the hearing no sooner than July 22. The judge granted the request.
Budd's lawyers have said he likely faces a sentence of six years in prison. Before trial, he rejected plea deals the government offered for half that amount of time.
Budd resigned March 2, the day after his first guilty verdict on the obstruction charge.
He was retried on the remaining three counts of civil rights violations and found guilty in mid-April. The first jury had deadlocked on those counts.