By JASMINE JOHNSON
KNIGHT RIDDER NEWSPAPERS
Most teenagers know the latest music craze is the iPod. And most teenagers, it seems, have them. I don't. And I don't care.
This creepy "iPod obsession" has gone too far. Here are five reasons why I hate iPods:
1. They cause addiction. Warning: When you're at school and you daydream about getting home to download a new song on your iPod, you are, in fact, addicted to it.
2. iPod crazies become iPod hermits. If people give up hanging out with friends to play with or listen to their iPod, they're obsessed, and it's a sign they need to get out more. Obsession is not good. In fact, it's actually quite weird and slightly psychotic.
3. Imaginary iPod friends. When a person names the iPod and starts referring to it by that name, it's time to switch to the radio for a while. At least we all know there are real DJs on the other end of the box.
4. iPod envy. Forget designer clothes separating the haves and have-nots. People with iPods can be wearing secondhand jeans, and they're still considered "A-list." Those of us without iPods are made to feel like the red-headed stepchildren of cool.
5. There's no known treatment for iPod-crazy, except to give it up. I know a few people who need to undergo treatment for obsessive iPod disorder. Unfortunately, there's not one. If you are one of these people, save yourself before it's too late. Quit for a while before you too become an iPod zombie.
XJasmine Johnson is a freshman at Lamar High School in Arlington, Texas.