COUNCIL Officials dismiss sole bid for plaza
New Castle council members will re-advertise for bids on the project.
By VIRGINIA ROSS
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- New Castle City Council has rejected the sole bid submitted for a downtown revitalization project.
City officials are hoping to receive new, more realistic estimates for the construction of the Zambelli Plaza, which is planned for the northwest corner of Mill and East Washington streets.
Last month, council opened a bid from S.E.T. Inc. of Lowellville, Ohio, for the work. At that time, city officials indicated S.E.T.'s $583,000 proposal was too high.
At a special meeting Tuesday, council agreed to re-advertise for bids. City officials have said that the project will remain on hold until they receive a proposal they can work with.
1 of 4 scheduled
The Zambelli project is one of four downtown revitalization projects scheduled to have been completed with a $2.1 million state grant.
Last year, S.E.T. was awarded a $1.4 million contract to complete Riverwalk Park along Neshannock Creek on East Washington Street. The city has had to put more money into that project than originally planned because of the discovery of a deteriorated wall along the creek. However, work at that site is progressing.
Work on the Grant Street parking lot has been completed for about $250,000.
However, city officials have said it is unlikely repairs to Troutman's Bridge on East Washington Street will be completed as quickly as originally anticipated.
Because money is running short, they say the city might have to look for alternative funding sources to pay for that work.