Propane explosion sends woman to hospital

Four township fire departments were on the scene.
WARREN -- A house fire and explosion in Warren Township shattered the Tuesday afternoon quiet and sent a woman to the hospital.
Smoke poured out of the small wood frame house at 633 Burwell Road early in the afternoon. Windows were blown out and the front of the house was charred.
The fire was caused by a pot on the stove, Fire Chief Kenneth Schick said. A propane tank on the back porch then exploded. A neighbor's camper was also damaged by the flames. No damage estimate was yet available for the house.
Marion Potkay, 83, was inside and apparently got out of the house on her own. She was taken to St. Joseph Health Center with minor burns, Schick said.
Her condition was not available, but her daughter Lisa Demski, the property owner, said she seemed to be OK.
Demski and a friend waited on the street behind the firetrucks and watched; she believed two dogs were killed.
Demski was at work when she received a call about the explosion.
"Everybody said they heard it," she said.
Neighbors milled about as firefighters from Southington, Champion, Braceville and Warren townships fought the heat, smoke and flames in suits and heavy tanks. Schick said six trucks responded to the call at 12:26 p.m. and were at the house about thrkee hours.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.