facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -

 

« News Home

Historic Elm Road land to be on auction block next month



Published: Thu, July 14, 2005 @ 12:00 a.m.



There is a lot of county history on these 7.7 acres.

HOWLAND -- The last chunk of green space here on Elm Road, just outside the Warren city limits in Howland Township, is to be auctioned in August.

Nine parcels of a historic former dairy farm at Wilson Avenue and Elm Road will be sold by Richard D. Basinger of Ohio Real Estate Auctions LLC.

The 7.74 acres of "prime development real estate" are to sell at noon Aug. 6, if not beforehand. The auction will be on site.

There are 1,047 feet of Elm Road frontage, and it's a heavily treed area.

Nearby businesses include the Warren Plaza, Dairy Queen and Rite Aid. The only places where more green space is available on Elm Road are past state Route 82 heading toward Cortland, Basinger noted.

"We've got some interest on it already. It can sell before the auction date," he said. "Somebody will put a plaza or restaurant or whatnot there."

Six of the parcels are on Elm, three on Wilson.

The listing price is $650,000. The address is 2603 Elm. It's in the Howland school district. There are two homes on the site.

The land has been held by the Biery family for several decades and once was a dairy farm. "They want to sell it and they've chosen the auction method," Basinger explained. "It's time where they want to move on with their lives."

Site history

According to "The People of Trumbull County, 1800-2000," compiled by Emily L. Varner, who is the Trumbull County government's archivist in the Stone Building, the dairy operation came as the result of marriage between two families.

The Church-Siegenthaler Family Dairy farm was originally on North Park Avenue. The Biery-Muhleman Family Dairy farm was at Elm Road and North River Road. Both of the families came from Switzerland.

Jacob R. Biery and Rosetta Church married in 1912, and Jacob bought both dairies. The Elm Road homestead was built in 1912, and the combined business relocated there for processing milk and ice cream.

Biery's Dairy delivered its first bottle of milk to Warren City Hospital, now Forum Health Trumbull Memorial Hospital.

Jacob's hobby was sorrel horses. He had set up picnic tables in the woods for his ice cream customers, and enjoyed swapping stories with them.

Robert, their only living son, bought the business from his father in 1954 and sold it to Warren Sanitary Dairy in 1957. It was the oldest dairy in Trumbull County at the time.

The site is still owned by Robert and his wife, Phyllis Marshall Biery. They've lived there since 1960. A historical marker is located on a flagpole there.

XCall Basinger at (330) 638-5807 for more information.




Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport