CAMPBELL BEATING Suspect in attack due in court for hearing

The beaten boy's mother said he weighs 'not even 70 pounds soaking wet.'
CAMPBELL -- An 18-year-old Campbell man faces a preliminary hearing Friday in the beating of a youth Sunday after Campbell City Fest.
Timothy Reese was arrested around 3:40 a.m. Monday in the driveway of his parents' Princess Street home. He was jailed under $2,500 bond and was released later Monday. He is set to appear Friday morning Campbell Municipal Court on .
According to police reports, two 12-year-old boys were riding their bicycles along Penhale Avenue after 11:30 p.m. Sunday when they passed a parked car with three men sitting on the hood. The boys said the men shouted to them as they passed by. When they got past the car, they heard it start and come toward them, reports said.
By this time the boys had turned onto 12th Street and the car continued to follow them closely, reports said. One of the boys almost lost his balance and made a turn into the parking lot of Campbell Pharmacy, according to the report.
The car passed him and continued to follow the other boy closely until he stopped in the middle of the road near Gordon Avenue.
Turn for the worse
At that point, the car stopped and one of the men got out, threw the boy to the ground and started punching him, police said.
The report said the man continued to punch the boy with his closed fist in the back and head until the other two men got out of the car, pulled him off and said, "Let's go, Tim."
The other 12-year-old was watching from about a block away, reports said. When the car left, the boys went to a relative's house, where they called police.
The injured boy was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center, where he was treated and released.
The youth's mother said her son is about 5 feet 2 inches tall and "not even 70 pounds soaking wet." According to the police report, Reese stands about 5-foot-7, and weighs about 185 pounds and has a "stocky and muscular build."
"I'm just upset," Tawanda Harris, the injured boy's mother, said. "Why would somebody just beat up a child like this? I just want some justice. I'm not going to be ignored."
Detective Sgt. Gus Nicklaou said the case is proceeding normally. Reese has been charged with assault; another charge could be filed if police discover that Reese was driving the car at the time of the encounter.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.