Vindicator file photo
FIFTY YEARS AGO: A new Man on the Monument was moved into place on his pedestal on Youngstown's Central Square just in time for the Fourth of July, 1955. Officials of Bertolini Bros. Co., which donated the $5,000 Italian marble statue, used a Hunter Construction Co. crane to do the job. The original statue, which was dedicated in 1870 by Gov. Rutherford B. Hayes with the assistance of another future president, James A. Garfield, was damaged beyond repair in 1951. It was knocked off its pedestal by firemen erecting decorations for Memorial Day. The body was used as fill at Lincoln Park; the head disappeared.