POLICE ACTIVITY Around the region

Gunfire leads to arrests
YOUNGSTOWN -- After a report that Ohio Edison workers were being shot at on the East Side around 1:25 a.m. New Year's Day, two arrests were made. Police who responded said they heard gunfire in the vicinity of Ayers and Rigby streets. They saw a group of people, at least eight, on the porch of 168 Ayers, and found casings in the yard, the porch and its steps. While Trephina Y. Smith, 23, of Eastway Drive was being placed under arrest on a charge of carrying a concealed weapon, roughly 15 more people came out of the house. The resident, 22-year-old Terrence Rushton, threw a bowl of rice on the ground and began yelling at police, telling them they had no right to be there, reports show. He also brushed up against one officer, who believed Rushton was intentionally trying to get everyone at the scene to fight with police. Rushton was then arrested on a charge of obstructing official business.
Driver charged with DUI
YOUNGSTOWN -- Bernie A. Smallwood, 43, of Emerson Place was charged with DUI and failure to control at 7:15 p.m. New Year's Eve after driving in circles and crashing into a utility pole and three sign posts on Mahoning Avenue, police said. After the crash, Smallwood ran into Schenley Carry-Out at 2725 Mahoning, followed by a Mahoning County deputy sheriff who witnessed the crash and held Smallwood for city police. The deputy said Smallwood had been doing "doughnuts" in his wrecked Mercury. Smallwood told police that he drank four or five beers and then, while traveling east on Mahoning, thought a truck was going to hit him and the next thing he knew his car would only go in circles. Police said his blood-alcohol concentration registered 0.104; the legal limit is 0.08.
Man shot in thigh at nightspot
YOUNGSTOWN -- A 26-year-old Plazaview Court man told police he was shot in the left thigh in the parking lot of Jitso's, a popular East Side nightspot on McGuffey Road, around 2:25 a.m. New Year's Day. A bar patron told police that no one was shot, that someone was just firing a gun into the air. The victim, however, who was treated at St. Elizabeth Health Center, said two men were arguing in the parking lot and one pulled a gun and started shooting. One of the shots hit him. Police found no blood or casings in the parking lot.
Fire at residence investigated
SHARON, Pa. -- The state fire marshal's office will investigate the cause of a fire that did extensive damage to a multifamily residence on Cedar Avenue on New Year's Eve. The Sharon Fire Department responded at 8:15 p.m. Friday to a call at 335 Cedar Ave. The building was unoccupied. One firefighter was treated at a local hospital for smoke inhalation and released.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.