Heating pad ignites fire at Pa. care home



QUAKERTOWN, Pa. (AP) -- A fire in a Quakertown care home that injured a 65-year-old woman and displaced 15 others started when a heating pad the woman was using shorted, a fire marshal said.
Helga Lounesbury suffered second- and third-degree burns on various parts of her body in the fire Thursday at Grundy House, a four-story home for seniors and the disabled with 159 residents.
She remained in critical condition Friday at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Salisbury Township, Quakertown Fire Chief Douglas Wilhelm said.
Lounesbury was sitting on her couch with a heating pad near her lower back when it sparked at about 4:30 p.m., Fire Marshal Fred Guenst said.
Those displaced by the fire are staying at a nearby nursing home, a hotel or with family, Guenst said.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.