Mount Carmel, Niles
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church will celebrate its 100th anniversary Sept. 2, 2006. One aspect of its yearlong observance is the parish history:
After the turn of 20th century, a group of Italians in Niles organized a parish. A temporary church was established in two rooms of a house on Mason Street.
The church moved to Robbins Avenue and Erie Street in 1908.
Precious Blood Fathers began serving there in 1914. The order left in 1999 because there were not enough priests.
The parish school opened in 1949 with 226 pupils.
The first Mass in the present church was celebrated on Christmas Eve 1924.
Source: The Rev. Anthony N. Teolis