USFA Ahart scores big to help Red Bulls shut out Invaders

A former South High standout also contributed to the party.
CAMPBELL -- Twon Ahart scored three touchdowns, one on a 59-yard pass play and two others on punt returns of 64 and 60 yards, respectively, helping the Ohio Red Bulls to a 48-0 win over the Ohio Invaders in a U.S. Football Association game Saturday at Knapick Field.
The game featured a 38-minute lightning and rain delay and was called after three quarters when a fight broke out among players and coaches on the Invaders sideline.
"Ahart is a real cool player, one of several we can count on to make big plays throughout the course of a game," Red Bulls coach Will Smith said. "We were fortunate today that he stepped his game up a notch and got us started on the right foot."
After a scoreless first quarter, tailback Jack Henderson, who carried the ball four times for 49 yards, scored the first of his two touchdowns at the 12:10 mark of the second stanza to give the Red Bulls a 7-0 lead.
The Red Bulls (5-3) held the Invaders (3-5) on the next series and on the ensuing punt, Ahart raced into the end zone from 64 yards out. When the placement failed, the Red Bulls had a 13-0 advantage.
Former South High standout Raymond Marrow then got into the scoring column with a 7-yard scamper at 1:57 of the quarter for a 20-0 lead, setting up his dramatic heave just before intermission.
The Red Bulls held the Invaders on their final series of the half then with time running out, Marrow found Ahart from 59 yards out for a 27-0 lead.
Marrow, who has experience in the National Indoor Football League and with Germany in the European Football League, said the offensive line played a big part in the touchdown.
"It was a straight drop and the line did an excellent job of protecting me on the play," Marrow said. "I was able to move right, use my mobility and hit Twon on the run. It was an excellent catch."
Neither team could mount a drive during the first 9:54 after the intermission. When lightning was spotted, the teams were sent to their locker rooms for a 38-minute delay.
Henderson then scored his second touchdown of the game from 38 yards out on the first play after the delay, helping the Red Bulls to a 34-0 advantage.
After holding the Invaders on their first three plays of the next series, Ahart then took Ron Brotherton's punt the distance from 60 yards for a 41-0 lead.
Bill Miller's ensuing kickoff was fumbled and Ike Griffin recovered, taking it in from 4 yards out for the final score of the game.
The Red Bulls had 117 yards rushing on 20 carries, with Henderson's 49 yards leading the way. Abdul Jordan had 37 yards on five carries for the Red Bulls.
Defensively, the Red Bulls held the Invaders to 20 rushing yards and 17 yards through the air (quarterback Kareem Hunt was 2-for-14 with an interception).
The Red Bulls finish their regular season next Saturday night when they play at the Beaver County Warriors, then will play host to the Penn-Ohio Raiders in the first round of the playoffs Sept. 3 at the former South High field. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.