COLUMBIANA -- Allen Masonic Lodge, 722 Springfield Road, marked its 150th anniversary April 23 with the reenactment of an ancient Masonic rededication ceremony. A luncheon followed at Stoddard's Iron Grill.
A rededication ceremony is performed by Ohio's top Masonic officers and uses many customs handed down by Masons for more than 200 years, using corn, wine and oil as symbols of faith, hope and charity. As part of the observance, the Lodge and its members were rededicated to continue service to its members and to the community.
Allen Lodge's charter was granted on Oct. 26, 1855. It has been at the Columbiana location since 1974 and is one of 12 Masonic Lodges in Columbiana County. The approximately 425 members contribute to charities such as Special Olympics and Shrine Hospital as well as aid local individuals and families in need.