MiniPage activities meet many state and national educational standards. This week's standards: Students comprehend and respond to a variety of images and text. Students identify forms and elements of literature. (Language Arts: Reading)
1. Write a story about your favorite pet, or a pet you would like to own. Draw a book cover for the story about your pet.
2. Find three comic strip characters who would be good characters for a story. Make up a short story for each character.
3. Find three things people did to help Kevin Henkes become an artist. Make a list of things people can do to help others develop their special skills.
4. What does Kevin Henkes say you need to do if you want to become a writer? Why is his advice important?
5. Use resource books and the Internet to learn more about the problems faced by Japanese Americans during World War II. Use these questions to guide your research: How many Japanese Americans were there at the start of World War II? Where did most of them live? What loyalty conflicts did they face? How many Japanese Americans were put in relocation (internment) camps?