SHARON Firefighters extinguish house fire; no one injured



One person was home when the fire broke out.
SHARON, Pa. -- Kirsten Fellows thought an intruder was in the second floor of her home when she was awakened by popping noises as she dozed on a first-floor couch.
However, when she went to the stairway to investigate, Fellows saw heavy black smoke billowing down the steps. She ran to a neighbor's to call for help.
Police said they got the fire call to 440 A St. at 7:20 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters said there were heavy flames coming from a second-floor bedroom window as they arrived at the scene.
The blaze spread into the attic and eaves before it was brought under control, and the house is uninhabitable, firefighters said today.
The entire second floor sustained smoke damage, and there was water damage throughout the structure, firefighters said.
One person in house
Fellows and her fianc & eacute;, William Greene, and Greene's son, Christopher, live in the house, which is owned by David Marriotti of Hermitage. Greene and his son had left the home about 30 minutes before the fire broke out, police said.
Firefighters said the blaze started in Fellows' bedroom.
A state police fire marshal was called in to inspect the scene but didn't immediately issue a cause for the blaze.
Firefighters said the house had working smoke detectors. There were no injuries, and no damage estimate was available. The house was insured, firefighters said.

More like this from vindy.com

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.