AIR DISASTERS Planes crash; 89 die

The planes disappeared from radar screens about 11 p.m.
BUCHALKI, Russia (AP) -- Russian emergency workers searched through heaps of twisted metal and tall grass today for clues about what caused two airliners to plunge to Earth almost simultaneously, killing all 89 people aboard and raising concerns of a terrorist strike. Officials said one of the jets sent a distress signal that may have indicated a hijacking.
Russia's main intelligence agency, however, said it had found no evidence of terrorism in initial investigations at the crash sites. The Federal Security Service, or FSB, said it was investigating other possibilities such as technical failures, the use of poor quality fuel, breaches of fueling regulations and pilot error, its press service told The Associated Press.
First plane
A Sibir airlines Tu-154 jet, carrying 46 people, took off from Moscow's newly redeveloped Domodedovo airport at 9:35 p.m. Tuesday and the other plane, a Tu-134 carrying 43 people, left 40 minutes later, according to state-run Rossiya television. The Tu-134 was headed to the southern city of Volgograd, while the other plane was flying to the Black Sea resort city of Sochi, where President Vladimir Putin is vacationing.
The planes disappeared from radar screens about 11 p.m., and by early this morning, the wreckage of both had been found -- with no survivors. Domodedovo airport said in a prepared statement that both planes "went through the standard procedure of preparation for flight ...[and] the procedures were carried out properly."
Uncertainty over the cause of the crashes came after Sibir said that it was notified that its jet had activated a hijack or seizure signal shortly before disappearing from radar screens. Officials said the crew of the other plane gave no indication that anything was wrong, but witnesses on the ground reported hearing a series of explosions.
"There were three loud bangs on the window, like someone knocking," said Nikolai Gorokhov, a local resident who was in his home at the time of the crash.
The Interfax news agency quoted an unidentified Russian aviation security expert as saying the fact that the two planes disappeared around the same time raised suspicions of terrorism.
Putin ordered an investigation by the FSB, and security was tightened at Russian airports, where extra security officers and sniffer dogs were called in to check passengers and luggage, as well as other transport hubs and public places.
The FSB immediately dispatched experts to the wreckage to determine whether explosions proceeded the crashes, Interfax reported. Flight recorders from both planes were found and brought to Moscow for further investigation, ITAR-Tass reported.
Separatists suspected
Officials had expressed concern that separatists in war-ravaged Chechnya might carry out attacks ahead of a regional election Sunday to replace the pro-Moscow president who was killed in a May bombing. Chechen rebels have been blamed for a series of terror strikes that have claimed hundreds of lives in Russia in recent years.
Rebel representative Akhmed Zakayev told Russia's Ekho Moskvy radio from London that Chechen rebel forces and rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov were in no way connected to the crashes.
About the same time the Tu-154 disappeared, the Tu-134 airliner crashed in the Tula region, about 125 miles south of Moscow, officials said. ITAR-Tass reported that the authorities believe the Tu-134 fell from an altitude of 32,800 feet.
Rescuers quickly found the Tu-134's wreckage -- a heap of metal lying upside down in a large hay field, its tail severed from the fuselage. An AP reporter saw one body bag lying near the tail, holding a charred corpse. Emergency Ministry officers wearing camouflage and red berets stood shoulder to shoulder and combed the tall grass for pieces of the broken plane.
Maj. Gen. Gennady Skachkov of the Emergency Situations Ministry told AP at the scene near the village of Buchalki that most of the bodies were still in the cabin, but several had been thrown into the field. He refused to speculate on the cause of the crash but said the crew had given no warning.
Statements about signal
Officials made conflicting statements about whether the signal from the other jet indicated a hijacking or another severe problem on the aircraft, whose wreckage was found in the Rostov region some 600 miles south of Moscow about nine hours after it disappeared.
The Interfax and ITAR-Tass news agencies later quoted an unidentified law enforcement source as saying that the signal was an SOS and that no other signals were sent.
Oleg Yermolov, deputy director of the Interstate Aviation Committee, said that it is impossible to judge what is behind the signal, which merely indicates "a dangerous situation onboard" and can be triggered by the crew during a hijacking or a potentially catastrophic technical problem.
Sibir airlines, however, seemed to hint at foul play, saying on its Web site that it "does not rule out the theory of a terrorist attack."
The Emergency Situation Ministry's Rostov regional chief Viktor Shkareda told AP that the plane apparently broke up in the air and that wreckage was spread over an area of some 25-30 miles, but the fuselage and tail lay a few hundred yards apart at the edge of a forest. Bodies lay near the plane, but most of the victims' bodies were trapped in the mangled fuselage. The crash was found near Gluboky, a village north of the regional capital Rostov-on-Don.
Siber said the Tu-134 belonged to small regional airline Volga-Aviaexpress and was being piloted by the company's director.
Interfax quoted a Domodedovo airport spokesman as saying no foreigners were on the passenger lists for either plane.

More like this from

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.