Judge lifts order between Letourneau and ex-pupil

Judge lifts order betweenLetourneau and ex-pupil
SEATTLE -- A judge agreed Friday to lift an order barring Mary Kay Letourneau from contacting Vili Fualaau, the former sixth-grade pupil she was convicted of having sex with when he was a minor.
Fualaau, now 21, had challenged the court order, saying he is an adult and can pick his own friends, especially the mother of his two children.
Letourneau was a 34-year-old elementary school teacher in suburban Des Moines and an unhappily married mother of four in 1996, when she began having sex with Fualaau.
When Letourneau was arrested in 1997, she was already pregnant with Fualaau's daughter. Though Letourneau professed her love for the boy, a judge sentenced her to six months in jail for second-degree child rape, and ordered her to stay away from him.
A month after Letourneau was released, she was caught having sex with Fualaau in her car. She was sent to prison for 71/2 years, and gave birth to Fualaau's second daughter behind bars.
Letourneau was released Wednesday, and was staying with friends at a home in a neighborhood south of Seattle.
Officials: Police officersavoided emergency calls
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- More than two dozen police officers have been disciplined after an investigation found some officers were monitoring incoming emergency calls to avoid tough assignments.
Investigators said officers improperly accessed a computer system that provides information to dispatchers who then communicate it to officers by radio.
"I expect them to be out there to provide a service," St. Petersburg Police Chief Chuck Harmon said of the 26 officers and three department employees involved.
In one instance, an officer made a traffic stop in an apparent attempt to avoid being sent to the scene of a suicide, documents said. In another case, an officer stayed busy on a call so she would not be dispatched to a scene where someone had died.
Two officers who were sent to the suicide had suspected some of their colleagues were using the computer access to dodge calls, and they complained to a sergeant. The sergeant was suspended for five days for not referring the matter to internal affairs; most of the other employees received written reprimands.
Police union president Officer Mark Deasaro said he disagreed with the disciplines because most of the officers did not duck calls.
Greyhound bus collideswith truck, killing three
JACKSON, Tenn. -- A Greyhound bus rammed into a tractor-trailer just before dawn Friday as the truck moved from the breakdown lane onto Interstate 40, killing two passengers and the bus driver, authorities said.
Seventeen other bus passengers, including two who were seriously injured, were sent to hospitals, officials said.
The impact crushed the nose of the bus back to a few rows behind the driver's seat, said Capt. Lynn Allen of the Tennessee Highway Patrol. The bus came to a stop with its door pressed against a guard rail, hampering efforts to rescue passengers. "We had to open windows to get them out," Allen said.
The westbound truck careened across the median and into the eastbound lanes, but there were no other accidents.
Sgt. Glenn Taylor of the Tennessee Highway Patrol said it was unclear why the bus rear-ended the truck just outside this west Tennessee city.
No charges have been filed, and Allen said the investigation will take several weeks.
Missing wife case
SALT LAKE CITY -- Mark Hacking, accused of killing his wife and disposing of her body in a garbage bin, once ran unauthorized group therapy sessions at a psychiatric hospital where he worked as an orderly, two former patients told The Associated Press.
They recall another of Hacking's traits they found peculiar: He insisted on being addressed as "Franz" instead of Mark, even though the patients knew his real name.
Hacking is in jail and accused of murdering his wife, Lori, who before her July 19 disappearance is believed to have discovered her husband had been lying for years about his education and plans to become a doctor. The couple had packed for a move to a North Carolina medical school where, it turns out, he wasn't enrolled.
Hacking's family was astonished to discover he had also been lying about having graduated from college.
The University of Utah said Friday that Hacking ran group "activities," not therapy sessions, although two former patients recalled Hacking relishing a role as therapist -- asking about their concerns and taking notes on their behavior.
Associated Press

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.

AP News