Doctor convicted

Doctor convicted
LISBON -- An East Liverpool physician faces up to a year in prison after a jury convicted him Tuesday of aggravated possession of drugs. Dr. Paramjit Singh, 45, of St. Clair Avenue, went on trial Monday in Columbiana County Common Pleas Court. Sentencing will be at 9 a.m. Jan. 31 before Judge David Tobin. Police investigating a July 19, 2001, car crash involving Singh found him to be in possession of two OxyContin pain pills. He was indicted in February 2002 on the drug offense, a fifth-degree felony.
Juror selected
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- One person was chosen Tuesday to sit on the jury in the murder trial of Perry S. Ricciardi, 22, formerly of Struthers, Ohio. Ricciardi is facing the death penalty if convicted of the most serious charges in the death of 12-year-old Shannon Leigh Kos of Youngstown. Shannon was killed Oct. 8, 2000, in a secluded section of Mahoning Township, Lawrence County. Ricciardi is one of three men accused in Shannon's stabbing death. William Monday, 23, pleaded guilty to homicide charges last year and was sentenced to life in prison in exchange for not going to trial where he could have faced the death penalty. David Garvey, 21, is awaiting trial. Attorneys expect testimony in Ricciardi's trial to start Jan. 21, but they must first find 12 jurors and four alternates.
Stadium bleachers
LEETONIA -- Village school officials are accepting bids for construction of stadium bleachers for the new high school football stadium. Superintendent Tom Inchak said plans are to have the stadium ready for football in the fall. Meanwhile, demolition of Washingtonville Elementary should begin in a few days, Inchak said today. Jim Santini, a Washingtonville contractor, purchased the property and plans to use it for his business, Inchak said.
Bus crash probed
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- Authorities are still investigating a crash that injured seven youngsters on a Neshannock Area School District bus. Neshannock police said a car driven by Ryan P. Divani, 20, of Mercer Road, New Castle, crashed into the back of a bus driven by Betty J. Koones, 69, of Plank Road, New Castle, at 8:14 a.m. Tuesday on West Maitland Lane and Brest Road. Police said pupils had minor injuries and were treated at the scene. No other injuries were reported. The bus and car had to be towed, police said. No citations have been issued.
Pirated CDs found
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- State police are investigating a pirating and counterfeit operation after discovering numerous compact discs, videotapes and DVDs in a car involved in a one-vehicle crash. Police said the car crashed Thursday on Pa. Route 208 in Washington Township. Police won't name the car's driver or owner. While investigating, troopers found 422 pirated compact discs, 74 counterfeit compact discs and 14 suspected counterfeit VHS taps and one DVD. Police explained that pirated items are those where numerous songs are placed on one compact disc and packaged as one product. Counterfeit items are copies passed off as originals.
Man pleads guilty
PITTSBURGH -- A former New Castle man pleaded guilty in federal court to a charge of transportation of a firearm or ammunition by a convicted felon. Edrick R. Spearman, also known as Quan Brown and Maquan Brown, 27, formerly of West Lincoln Avenue, pleaded guilty Tuesday to one count before Senior United States District Judge Maurice B. Cohill. In connection with the guilty plea, Assistant U.S. Attorney Tina O. Miller told the court that in January 2001, Spearman used another person as a "straw purchaser" to buy five firearms at a store in New Castle. Spearman could not buy the guns because he is a convicted felon. An illegal "straw purchase" is when a purchaser misrepresents the identity of the actual person buying the firearm on a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms form that is required at the time of purchase. Spearman transported three of the firearms to Michigan, Miller said. Spearman will be sentenced at 9 a.m. May 6.
Home burglarized
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- Burglars stole $185, video games and electronic equipment from a home on the 800 block of Etna Street. Police said Tuesday that the break-in occurred Monday evening.

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.