Ten-point plan would give U.S. new role in the world
Here's the plan:
1) The United States will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past and present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini and the rest of them good old boys. We will never "interfere" again.
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No more sneaking through holes in the fence.
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France would welcome them.
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself, don't hide here. Asylum would not ever be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers.
5) No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home, baby.
6) The United States will make a strong effort to become self sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness.
The caribou will have to cope for a while.
7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else.
8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere & quot;. They can pray to Allah or whomever for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides' most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if any, anyway.
9) Ship the U.N. headquarters to an island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, it would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.
Now, ain't that a winner of a plan?
City must clean up, rebuild
Everyone wants Youngstown to look nice. Well, it can't look nice with all the trash and abandoned houses. I think that the owners of these abandoned houses and broken down businesses should have to tear them down. They would be replaced with some decent apartments at decent prices for disabled and handicapped people on low income. Also they should have a nurse on duty all the time in case of an emergency and a doctor on staff whenever someone needs one.
Everyone gets after the homeowners to clean up the yards and paint their houses. But they don't get after the owners of the abandoned houses and buildings.
This city would be a better place to live. There are dogs, cats, raccoons and even rats that get into these houses and then they go into our yards. The grass grows and the owners don't cut it. This is terrible, especially when these houses look like they're ready to be torn down anyway.
I'm sure President Bush would help in this if only Youngstown would tell him the money is needed for Youngstown to look nice.
It would be a nicer place to live if everyone would get together and clean up the town. Also, in the winter time, the city ought to put salt on the streets so people can walk. I fell last year, and I had boots on. I hit my head really hard. There was no salt on Federal Plaza at all. Also I walked from Market Street to the Post Office and fell. At least WRTA, Greyhound and the post office keep salt down to make it safe for people to walk.
JEANIE Z. GERLACH