Suspect in kidnapping and assault to face trial

A rape charge was withdrawn before the hearing.
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- A Plain Grove Township man accused of keeping a woman chained in his bathroom was ordered to stand trial.
Wayne F. Brabson, 45, of RD 2, Box 452, Volant, is charged with involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats, kidnapping and unlawful restraint.
After District Justice David Rishel ordered Brabson to stand trial, he also doubled Brabson's bond to $200,000.
"I think raising the bond to $200,000 to protect that young lady is justified," Rishel said after the hearing. Rishel also ordered the defendant not to speak to the victim or anyone who has contact with her.
Woman's story
The 39-year-old woman went to Pennsylvania State Police Aug. 31 after escaping from Brabson's Arthur Drive home.
She testified that Brabson kept her in his house since July 7 after he accused of her of having him arrested on a public drunkenness charge in Somerset County. The two had had a relationship for about a year before that time, police said.
The woman testified that she was only allowed out of the house when accompanied by Brabson.
Other times he would tie ropes around her wrists and ankles or a chain around her neck in the bathroom, she said. She added that Brabson would sometimes not tie or chain her, but lock the outside house door with a padlock on the outside.
She said she had several chances to escape, but feared Brabson would catch her.
"He kept saying what I did was grounds for murder and I believed him. I had chances to get away several times, but didn't," she said.
The woman said Brabson beat and kicked her and used a maul to poke at her feet. He also threatened to use a pick to remove her eyes and heart, she said.
Brabson repeatedly told her he would kill her and throw her body in the septic tank, she added.
The woman did admit that people visited Brabson's house during the time she was being confined, but she said he threatened to kill her and the visitors if she told them what was happening.
She said he kept her chained in the bathroom about once or twice a week as he slept. The woman said he told her it was to show her what it was like because he had been chained when arrested on public drunkenness charges.
Questions about fight
Brabson's attorney, Chief Public Defender Harry O. Falls, questioned the woman about a physical altercation she had with another woman. As Brabson was leaving the courtroom, he told reporters that is where the woman suffered her injuries.
The victim testified that her fight with the other woman happened several months ago.
Police reports show that the woman was treated Aug. 31 at Jameson Hospital for at least three fractured ribs that had occurred in the last month, a dislocated middle finger and bruises and cuts to her feet, legs and head. There were also older bruises on her wrists and hands, police said.
Rape charge withdrawn
District Attorney Matthew Mangino said his office decided to withdraw a charge of rape because they did not feel there was enough evidence to proceed with that charge.
The case was handled by Assistant District Attorney Diane Demeter.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.