HUBBARD POLICE No plan yet for possible move

It would take at least 90 days to move the operations.
HUBBARD -- Acting Police Chief Kenneth Oyler says the city has no backup plan should county health officials condemn police headquarters.
"I don't know what to do if we're told to move," Oyler said. "What the hell do we do?"
What's more, the 22-year police veteran expressed concern that members of his department might refuse to work in the aged building.
Oyler is faced with the possibility of the Trumbull County Health Department's quarantining the building if high levels of mold are found inside.
Last week, Frank J. Migliozzi, the county's director of environmental health, told city officials eight types of mold have been identified in the building.
One of them, aspergillus, contains microtoxins and is potentially fatal if a high amount is inhaled, Migliozzi said.
The city has hired Environmental Quality Management Inc. of Cincinnati to determine the levels of the various molds.
So, what happens if the building is condemned?
"We don't have a set plan yet," Mayor George Praznik said. "We should have an alternate plan."
Possible plans
Those alternatives include moving some police operations into a trailer, the Hubbard Township Police Department's facilities or the senior citizens' area in city hall.
No decision about contingencies will be made, Praznik explained, until after Environmental Quality submits its report, expected by early October.
Meanwhile, the mayor has contacted Aberdeen Construction Corp., a Boardman general contractor that does mold removal, about sealing the basement from the rest of the two-story building.
Oyler said alternative headquarters should be found by the administration and city council.
"Anywhere is better than where we are. They need to find us something," the acting chief said.
One of the difficulties in moving, Oyler explained, is that the dynamics are unknown.
For example, he doesn't know what is needed to move telephone lines, computers and burglar alarms to businesses.
He's been trying for five weeks to get a telephone company representative to the police station to discuss moving telephone connections out of the basement and onto the first floor.
Time issue
Moving into temporary quarters, Oyler said, would be more difficult than moving to a permanent facility because it would require two moves.
"A move doesn't happen overnight," Oyler said, noting it could take three months, if not longer.
Keeping the 25 employees who regularly work at the station on the job is difficult in light of the health issues. "They want to move out now," he said.
Patrol Officer Dennis Devine, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 132, shares that concern.
"That's the question. I don't know if I can keep them in this building," he said.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.