NEW CASTLE City council expects to ban burning at homes
By LAURE CIOFFI
VINDICATOR NEW CASTLE BUREAU
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- City council expects to formally ban burning next month.
Councilwoman Patricia May said she has received numerous complaints about people burning on Saturdays, which is allowed for those who pay a $10 yearly fee.
Council voted 3-2 two years ago to ban burning, but the ban was vetoed by Mayor Timothy Fulkerson.
Fulkerson said he will not veto a second ban.
The mayor said the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has questioned him as to why the city allows residential burning. He said few others cities of the same size permit it.
The mayor issued a ban on burning this week because of drought conditions. He said it's unlikely that ban will be lifted until October or November. Violators will be fined, he said.
Council is expected to vote on a permanent burning ban Aug. 22 and appears to have a majority favoring it.
Council members said they expect to buy another house for $1 from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as part of a special program that will help first-time, low-income homebuyers.
The city bought a house from HUD on Delaware Avenue last year, made repairs and is now trying to sell it.
Fulkerson said the money gained from the Delaware Avenue house sale will be used to repair 117 E. Wallace Ave.