facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

MAHONING COUNTY Areas will share funds, official says



Published: Fri, January 11, 2002 @ 12:00 a.m.



By MARY GRZEBIENIAK

VINDICATOR CORRESPONDENT

NEW SPRINGFIELD -- Springfield Township could receive thousands of dollars for local projects from Mahoning County sales-tax revenues this year.

Joe Caruso, the county's special projects director, attended Wednesday's trustee meeting and told officials that this year Springfield and Beaver townships will share an allocation provided to different areas of the county on a rotating basis.

Although there is no firm estimate of what the sales tax will bring in, at the 2001 level the two townships would receive $60,500 apiece.

This is the third year of the Community Development program. Caruso said the money, generated from the county's half-percent sales tax, could be used as a local match to secure funding for larger federal and state funding projects. The money can be used for projects such as waterlines and parks, but not for salaries, utility payments or general maintenance.

Also on agenda: In other business, Trustee Lee Kohler said the township is again applying for state funds for Phil Rose Road ditching and storm sewers. The township is a high priority for the funds because the project was approved last year but never done. The township would pay for 16 percent and Issue 2 funds would cover the other 84 percent of the $177,744 project.

At the request of Fire Chief Frank Molnar, trustees set a special meeting for 7 p.m. Feb. 6 to meet with Molnar and four officers of the township rescue squad to discuss issues including communication, equipment, dispatching, budget and finance.

Trustees passed, at the county's recommendation, a 25-mile-per-hour speed limit for roads in the Carousel Corners housing development off Calla Road west of state Route 170.

They instructed police Chief Matthew Mohn to seek an opinion from the county prosecutor on whether township policeman James Touville can legally also work as a deputy sheriff after a resident cited an Ohio Attorney General's opinion claiming the two jobs are incompatible.

Work on roads: Kohler said trustees will meet with the county engineer Jan. 23 and present a list of county roads in the township they would like to see blacktopped.

Trustees approved paying $1,068 to Core Construction Inc. to finish work on the back of the township building.

Residents were reminded to bring their used wrapping paper and Christmas trees to the New Middletown recycling site until Tuesday.

Reservations still can be made by calling the township building for Tuesday's self-defense program to be conducted by Sgt. Bob Magnuson of the Canfield Police Department from 6 to 10 p.m. The program is sponsored by Crime Watch.




Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport