Trustees handled these items Thursday:
* Appointed Al Haberstrom to a five-year term on the township zoning commission at $22.50 per meeting.
* Appointed Brent Wilcox to a five-year term on township zoning board of appeals at $22.50 per meeting.
* Appointed Tom Strock as fire chief at $5,000 per year.
* Appointed Chris Plott as assistant fire chief at $1,000 per year.
* Selected Robert Reader as trustee chairman and Dan Tietz as vice chairman for this year.
* Hired Clarence Speaker as cemetery sexton for $1,500 per year. Any resale of lots must be reported to him and new deeds will be issued.
* Set the cost of grave openings on weekdays at $225 per adult and $125 per child or cremation. If the cemetery employee is detained after noon, the cost is an additional $75. After 2 p.m. weekdays, the grave opening cost is $325 per adult and $175 per child or cremation.
Wayne Herron and Homer Althouse were chosen as chairman and vice-chairman, respectively, when the Butler Township trustees met recently to reorganize for 2002. Tom Sanor is the third trustee.
* Trustees agreed to provide full-time township employees with pay raises. Road foreman Daryl Doyle and co-foreman Ronald Berger received increases of 50 cents an hour. They will be paid $13 and $12.75 per hour, respectively. Road worker Matt Hall received an increase of 75 five cents an hour, moving him to $12.25.
* Trustees agreed to continue holding meetings the first and third Monday of each month. Meetings will begin at 7:45 p.m. at the township hall on Slater Road.