Policeman puts out fire at middle school



AUSTINTOWN -- A police sergeant used a handheld fire extinguisher to put out a small fire at Frank Ohl Middle School late Wednesday.
Sgt. Steve Garstka was on patrol near the school about 11 p.m. when he noticed an orange glow in one of the school windows. When he looked into the window, he saw a small fire had been started by a candle that had been left burning in a classroom.
Garstka used the fire extinguisher he carries in his cruiser to break open the window and put out the fire. Firefighters were called to the school and spent about 30 minutes clearing smoke from the room.
Fire Chief Andy Frost said a teacher accidentally left a candle burning.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.