YOUNGSTOWN Police investigate robberies, two rapes

A teen-age girl and a disabled woman said they were raped in separate situations.
YOUNGSTOWN -- City police responded to several rape, robbery and assault complaints over the weekend.
Early Saturday, a 13-year-old girl receiving care at St. Elizabeth Health Center told officers that she was raped on the North Side by a teen-age boy she knew. She said she and a friend were walking on Belmont Avenue near Wirt Street at about 5 p.m. Friday when they were approached by the teen who said there was a party at a friend's house.
The girl went with the teen to the party at a house at Covington Street and Delaware Avenue. She said they were downstairs in the house when he asked her if she wanted to have sex. She said he raped her after she said no.
A second rape was reported Sunday by a 39-year-old mentally disabled woman who said she was raped in her South Side home at about 11 p.m. Saturday by a neighbor who had brought his children over for her to baby-sit.
The woman reported that the neighbor, who had been drinking, raped her on a basement table as she yelled at him to stop.
Kidnapped: A 36-year-old South Side man told police Friday that he was robbed and kidnapped by two men at about 2:30 p.m. Thursday. The man said he entered his car, parked at the Sav-A-Lot store at South and Indianola avenues on the city's South Side, and discovered a man in the back seat.
A second man entered through the passenger door, showed a handgun and ordered the driver to Interstate 680, saying he wanted a ride to Cleveland. Both men wore blue handkerchiefs over their faces.
The man in the back seat had the victim drive to state Route 46 and into a housing complex area in Niles before driving back to Route 46 and onto another road.
The driver was forced to get off at an undetermined exit, stop at the side of the road, give them the $200 he carried and leave the vehicle. The man found his car later at a gas station with the keys in the ignition. His girlfriend's purse, in the back seat, was emptied.
Also on Saturday, a 21-year-old South Side man said he was at Hylda Street and Firnley Avenue on the city's South Side at about 7:30 p.m. when a man he knows shot into his car, shattering the rear window. He said the gunman had seen him earlier in the day and accused him of telling others that the gunman had stolen money from a friend.
On Sunday, a 49-year-old South Side man told police he had been driven to a Jacobs Road house on the city's East Side at about 8 a.m. by a friend. When he left the vehicle, he was struck in the back of the head and left unconscious.
He told police he awoke and saw two or three people in black wearing ski masks. They stole $210, a leather coat, a gold chain and a hat.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.