SHARON HIGH Basketball, big brawl, free-for-all at game

One man was arrested and other charges are pending.
SHARON, Pa. -- Police say they are unsure what sparked a brawl that injured dozens of people at a local high school basketball game and caused the fighting to spill onto the basketball court and into a hallway.
Police estimate 70 to 100 people were involved in the fight, which injured four off-duty Sharon police officers who were working security Saturday night at the Sharon-Farrell boys basketball game in the Sharon High School gymnasium.
Police attacked: The brawl apparently broke out in the final minutes of the game in the student bleacher section. As police rushed to stop the fight, other spectators punched, kicked and pushed them back, a police spokesman said today.
More officers from Sharon and nearby communities had to be called in to quell the brawl, which spilled onto the basketball court and into the school commons area, they said. Administrators and adults attending the game also tried to help stop the fighting, police said.
Game ended: Police said the game was called before the final buzzer, with Sharon leading 80-70, because of the fighting. School officials could not be reached this morning for comment about the game or the brawl.
Police did arrest one man who they say helped stop the off-duty officers as they tried to reach the original fight. Jesse J. Wilson, 20, of Sherman Avenue, Sharon, remained in the Mercer County Jail this morning after failing to post $20,000 bond. He faces charges of aggravated assault, rioting, resisting arrest, recklessly endangering another person, simple assault and disorderly conduct.
Police said numerous juveniles were taken into custody during the fight and later released to their parents. Juvenile charges are expected to be filed later this week, they said.
Fight at hospital: Another fight broke out later that night at Sharon Regional Health Center among people who had been injured by chemical mace released by police at the basketball game, police said. No arrests were made, but police had to stand guard as doctors treated the fans.
No major injuries were reported; most had bumps and bruises, police said.
Hospital officials said 11 people were treated, seven for exposure to chemical mace and four for fight injuries.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.