YOUNGSTOWN Jury finds man guilty of murder

The McGuffey Road man faces a mandatory sentence of 18 years to life in prison.
YOUNGSTOWN -- There was no reaction from anyone when jurors pronounced Lorice Moore guilty Thursday in the killing of 29-year-old Stephen Shackleford.
But moments after the jury left the courtroom, Assistant Prosecutor Michael Maillis walked quietly into the hallway and let tears stream down his face.
"It just feels good that two of them didn't get away with it," said Maillis, overcome with emotion after the verdict.
The nine-woman, three-man jury deliberated four hours before convicting Moore of one count of complicity to murder. Under Ohio law, he faces a mandatory sentence of 15 years to life in prison, with an additional mandatory three years for using a firearm in the crime.
Judge Maureen A. Cronin said sentencing will probably be next week.
Moore, 25, of McGuffey Road, was the second man to be tried in Shackleford's death. Eddie Bryant, 25, of Cohasset Drive, was found innocent in July. Maillis tried that case as well.
Moore's attorney, Gary Van Brocklin, argued during Moore's trial that it was Bryant, not Moore, who killed Shackleford. Maillis countered that the two were equally culpable since both were present and fired at Shackleford.
"I'm sorry, man," a disappointed Van Brocklin said to his client as deputy sheriffs put handcuffs on Moore and prepared to take him to jail. Van Brocklin declined to comment afterward.
Maillis said the verdict was vindication for him and for Shackleford's family after Bryant's acquittal.
A witness said Shackleford got into a fight March 19 with Moore and his cousin, Armin Moore. The Moores returned a short time later to Shackleford's house with Bryant and Calvin Moore, who is Lorice Moore's brother. All four were carrying guns, the witness said.
Lorice Moore chased Shackleford out the back door of his house at the Victory Annex housing complex into the back yard, where Bryant was waiting with a gun. Both men fired, and Shackleford collapsed in the middle of McBride Street, shot three times in the back.
Armin Moore, 24, and Calvin Moore, 30, are still awaiting trial.
Timothy Franken, chief assistant prosecutor, said his office intends to pursue those cases, especially in light of Thursday's verdict.
"This jury didn't take very long," Franken said. "They were convinced this guy was guilty."

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.