NEW CASTLE State approval allows start on $30M high school project
Work on a new band shelter, to replace one destroyed by arsonists, was to begin today.
By LAURE CIOFFI
VINDICATOR NEW CASTLE BUREAU
NEW CASTLE, Pa. -- Pennsylvania school officials approved contracts for the New Castle High School building project.
Work on the nearly $30 million project started shortly after the district received notification in late July from the Pennsylvania Department of Education that the contracts had been approved.
In other business, school board members accepted the resignation of J. Bradley Ovial, assistant high school principal. Ovial has accepted a position at another school district, said Nick DeRosa, assistant schools superintendent.
Board members noted they will not replace Ovial, saving $80,000 for the district.
DeRosa said Carmen Nocera, elementary principal at John F. Kennedy Primary Center, will move into Ovial's position. There will be no change in his pay.
Patrick George will take over duties as principal at Kennedy and continue to work as principal at West Side Primary School, DeRosa said. George's salary will also remain the same.
Work on band shelter
School board members also confirmed the contracts for the companies hired to rebuild the high school band shelter at Taggart Stadium. The shelter was destroyed about a year ago by arson.
Litton Industries of New Castle will be paid $39,000 for building the shell, and BEAR of Bakerstown, Pa., will replace eight rows of bleachers for $13,900. Both companies will be paid from the $59,000 insurance settlement the district received after the fire.
School officials said work was expected to begin today. The band shelter should be ready for the district's first home football game Sept. 13, they noted.