Girls tried to kill kidnapper, victim says

Girls tried to killkidnapper, victim says
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Two teenage girls tried to kill their kidnapper while he slept by stabbing him and hitting him on the head with a whiskey bottle, one of the teens said in a television interview Friday.
"We got this plan we were going to try to kill him," 17-year-old Jacqueline Marris, of Lancaster, tearfully told KABC-TV. The Los Angeles station said she wanted to give the interview and her parents consented.
Jacqueline and a 16-year-old girl were abducted by Roy Dean Ratliff, 37, early Thursday from a remote lovers' lane where they were parked with their dates. Kern County Sheriff Carl Sparks said they were raped.
Deputies shot and killed Ratliff after a manhunt that led to a remote desert region more than 100 miles north of Los Angeles.
Jacqueline said the girls took Ratliff's knife from its holster in the truck. "We got enough courage because you could see his pulse" while he slept, she said.
Jacqueline said she stabbed Ratliff in the throat, and "he woke up and he was like shocked and everything" as the 16-year-old hit him in the face with the whiskey bottle.
Ratliff opened the car door and "we both kicked him out, and I threw the knife at him," Jacqueline said. The kidnapper then pulled his gun and regained control of the girls, who did not know each other before the abduction.
Authorities searchfor missing tourist
SAN FRANCISCO -- Authorities searched for a 12-year-old Chinese girl Friday who was reported missing from a youth tour group that had an overnight layover in the Bay Area before heading to a space camp in Alabama.
Yukun Jia flew from Beijing and cleared customs around 2:10 p.m. Thursday. She was reported missing around 5 p.m. by the adult leaders of her group, said police Sgt. Larry Ratti.
After arriving at the airport, the group toured nearby Stanford University. When adults counted heads before the group boarded the bus, they noticed Jia was missing, Ratti said. It was not immediately clear whether she disappeared at the airport or at Stanford, but tour leaders told police that Jia's luggage was not loaded onto the bus at the airport. The girl had no known history of running away and no known relatives in the area, Ratti said.
The possibility that the girl is seeking to defect from China hasn't been ruled out, Ratti said. The girl speaks Mandarin Chinese and very little English, he said.
The California Highway Patrol issued a statewide "Amber Alert," which helped authorities rescue two missing teenage girls Thursday. Ratti said an alert typically is not issued unless authorities confirm an abduction, but authorities offered to distribute Jia's description anyway.
Outage in Texas, N.M.
EL PASO, Texas -- A power line short-circuited Friday, cutting power to more than 750,000 people in El Paso and several towns in New Mexico and West Texas, authorities said.
Power was restored to about half of El Paso but remained out in several towns spanning about 180 miles between Hatch, N.M., and Van Horn, Texas, El Paso Electric spokesman Henry Quintana said.
The electricity went out around 9:45 a.m. in this city of 500,000 and began returning to some parts of downtown within 45 minutes.
Public Service Company of New Mexico was investigating why a 345-kilovolt line that runs between Albuquerque and El Paso short-circuited.
City hospitals were fully functional during the blackout, but flights at El Paso International Airport were delayed for hours. The outage also interrupted telephone service, stranded people in elevators and knocked El Paso radio and television stations off the air.
British teen convicted
LONDON -- A teenager who prosecutors said wanted to be a vampire was convicted Friday of fatally stabbing an elderly woman, cutting out her heart and drinking her blood.
"You hoped for immortality, but all you have achieved is the brutal ending of another person's life and the bringing of a life sentence upon yourself," said the judge, Sir Stephen Richards.
A jury at Mold Crown Court found Mathew Hardman, 17, guilty of slaying 90-year-old widow Mabel Leyshon at her home in the north Wales town of Llanfairpwll last Nov. 24.
He was ordered detained "at Her Majesty's pleasure" -- a sentence that applies to juveniles convicted of murder and carries a minimum 12-year prison term.
Richards said the murder was "an act of great wickedness."
Associated Press

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.