MAHONING COUNTY 2 men get 7 years in restaurant holdup

The defendants had both worked at the Austintown restaurant they robbed.
YOUNGSTOWN -- One bad decision caused a Brookfield man and his accomplice to be sentenced to seven years behind bars for robbing employees of an Austintown restaurant.
"If I had back those 10 seconds of my life, I would not have made that decision" to commit the robbery, said Jeffrey Jones of Albright-McKay Road.
Judge R. Scott Krichbaum of Mahoning County Common Pleas Court sentenced Jones, 23, and Amory Dorsey, 21, of Hillman Avenue.
Admitted crimes
Each had pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated robbery, kidnapping, safecracking and a firearm specification. They robbed four employees of Antone's Restaurant on Mahoning Avenue in January.
Dorsey's attorney, James Gentile, said Wednesday that the two once worked at the restaurant and knew all the victims. He did not say why they committed the robbery, but he acknowledged that they should not have.
"I know these victims were in fear for their lives," Gentile said. "I don't think anybody was going to get hurt that night, but it was a stupid thing for them to do."
None of the victims was in court for the sentencing.
Brandished gun
Dorsey said Jones drove to the restaurant and waited in the car while he and another man went inside. The other man held two female employees at bay while Dorsey held a gun on two male workers and took an unspecified amount of money.
Jones' lawyer, Brian Kish, also said that Jones never went inside and never brandished a gun.
Detective Sgt. Dan Kosco of the Austintown Police Department said, however, that witnesses told police that both Jones and Dorsey were inside during the robbery. There was no evidence of a third suspect, he said.
Both defendants said they regret committing the crime, but neither offered an explanation of why they did it.
Didn't think
When Judge Krichbaum asked Dorsey whether he'd thought about the prospect of going to prison, Dorsey shook his head.
"I can't even comprehend the thought of it," he said softly.
The plea agreement, which brought about reduced prison sentences, was recommended by the prosecutor's office with approval from police and the victims.
Sentence details
The agreement was for a sentence of four years on each of the felonies, all running at the same time. That time will be served consecutively to a mandatory three-year term for the use of a gun during the crime.
No one was injured and no guns were fired during the holdup.
About a week after the robbery, Dorsey was arrested at a home on West Princeton Avenue in Youngstown, and Jones was apprehended at a bus station in Louisville, Ky., on his way to New Orleans.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.