WARREN SLAYING Police arrest local man in killing

The victim's mother said she's pleased that an arrest has been made.
WARREN -- A man arrested in the brutal killing of a 35-year-old city woman is scheduled to be arraigned later today.
Police and court officials said a 23-year-old Howland Township man was arrested Saturday in the murder of Denise Angelo. The man is being held in the county jail without bond, jail officials said.
Angelo's body was found Friday in a wooded area off North Road. Police said the woman had been stabbed several times. They believe her body had been there for at least a day.
"I am just so relieved," said Myrtle Sisler, Angelo's mother. "I am so glad the police were able to make an arrest so quickly."
Didn't recognize man
Sisler said police brought her a photo of the man arrested.
"I didn't know him," Sisler said. She added that she didn't know the motive behind her daughter's murder.
Police records show that Angelo had been arrested numerous times, mainly on misdemeanor crimes such as possessing drug paraphernalia. She was released from the Trumbull County jail March 26 after she had been arrested and charged with driving under suspension, county jail records show.
The Trumbull County coroner's office performed an autopsy Saturday. Results will be available later today, officials said.
According to Trumbull County 911 records, at 8:22 a.m. Friday, a man called from a pay telephone at a Youngstown Road Southeast store, stating that he witnessed someone dumping something on the east side of North Road, just past the first entrance of Candlelight Estates.
The call was first received by Warren police, who transferred it to the county dispatch because the dispatcher thought that part of North Road was in Howland Township, 911 officials said.
The caller, who police believe gave 911 dispatchers a false name, said he could not tell what was dumped. He also gave 911 officials the number of a license plate of the car he said was involved, but the number proved to be false.
At 8:44 a.m., he again called 911 from a pay telephone in the parking lot of Rally's near the Eastwood Mall. The caller said he called before about something being dumped in the wooded area, and then said he believed someone was in the ditch.
When the dispatcher asked for his name, he hung up the phone. Police declined to say if the man arrested is the same person who made the calls.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.