WARREN Plea ends trial in shooting of baby

The plea came two days after the defendant's criminal trial started.
WARREN -- A 22-year-old Youngstown man has pleaded guilty to involvement in the shooting of a 13-month-old boy.
Brandon Little pleaded Wednesday to charges of aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary and felonious assault. The pleas came two days after Little's trial started.
Defense attorneys could not be reached to say why Little decided to plea.
Little could receive up to 20 years in prison, court officials said.
Judge John Stuard of Trumbull County Common Pleas Court said Little, of Youngstown, will be sentenced after a background check by the county adult probation department.
The judge, however, did revoke Little's $50,000 bond. Little must now remain in jail until his sentencing, court officials said.
Prosecutors say Little and his friend, Odomie Wellington, broke into a Parkman Road S.W. home Sept. 2, 2000, and began shooting. The baby was seriously injured, police said.
Wellington, 21, of Vollmer Drive, Austintown, pleaded guilty in August to charges of aggravated burglary, aggravated assault and felonious assault. He is to be sentenced sometime after Little's trial, court officials said.
Wellington's brother, Delainey, of Youngstown, also pleaded guilty in November 2000 to a felony charge of obstruction of justice for lying when he was questioned about the shooting. He was sentenced to five years' probation.
What happened
The baby, Kyreese Haymon, was shot during what police said was apparently a robbery at his father's Parkman Road home.
Police were told that the child's 16-year-old baby sitter had brought the baby, Odomie Wellington and Little to the home around 8 p.m.
The baby sitter went into the house with the child and the two men waited outside, police said.
The two men entered the home and attempted to rob Kyren Haymon, the child's father, police said. Once the two were inside the home, the shooting began.
Kyreese and Kyren were wounded. The boy spent several weeks in a Pittsburgh hospital with head and chest wounds.
The baby sitter pleaded guilty in November 2000 to a charge of delinquency by way of obstruction of justice. She was given six months of house arrest and a six-month suspended jail sentence.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.