WARREN Jury indicts man in murder attempt

Police said the man intended to kill his wife.
WARREN -- A 25-year-old Ohio Avenue man is indicted on several charges after he attempted to kill his wife and assaulted several police officers, police said.
The grand jury issued a special report Monday, indicting Jeffrey David Wallace on charges of attempted murder, felonious assault, aggravated robbery, domestic violence and assault on a peace officer.
Wallace, who is being held in the county jail without bond, is scheduled to be arraigned April 22.
Detective Dewey Gray of the city police department said Wallace was arrested around 4 a.m. April 8, after he beat his wife with a fireplace poker.
"He had every intention to kill his wife," Gray said. "She was sleeping in bed and woke up with him beating her with this steel poker. He told her that she wasn't supposed to wake up after the first hit. He even brought a knife to the bedroom."
Gray said Shannon Wallace, 25, suffered several cuts to her head and her hand was broken in three places.
"She is lucky to be alive," Gray said.
He noted that after police arrived, Jeffrey Wallace first told them that someone had broken in and assaulted both of them. Police separated the two, and Shannon Wallace told them her husband assaulted her. Jeffrey Wallace then began fighting with officers, reports state.
"He tried to take one of the officer's gun. In fact, the officers had to struggle with him to get his hands off the gun," Gray said. "He was very violent, and it took several officers to arrest him."
Cleveland suspect
The grand jury also indicted a Cleveland man on charges of robbery, kidnapping, aggravated burglary, grand theft and failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer.
Osby Scott, East 140th Street, who is being held in the county jail without bond, will be arraigned April 22.
Sgt. Charles Sines said police believe Scott broke into the Willard Avenue home of an 83-year-old woman on April 9, tied her up and stole cash and her vehicle.
The woman, who was not injured, was able to free herself and went to a neighbor's home to call police, reports state. Police spotted the car and chased Scott, who crashed into a garage and fled.
Police captured Scott as he hid in a home on Columbia Place.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.