Man is injured in jump

Man is injured in jump
LIBERTY -- A 40-year-old Youngstown man remains hospitalized after jumping from a window in a burning apartment Monday evening.
Peter Prater, of Shehy Street, was in satisfactory condition this morning in St. Elizabeth Hospital Medical Center.
The blaze caused an estimated $100,000 to the three-story apartment building.
Fire Chief Robert Catchpole said Prater was in a third-floor apartment at 3017 Northgate Avenue about 5:20 p.m. when he had a telephone conversation with a woman and then clothing was set on fire in the apartment.
The relationship between Prater and the woman is unclear.
Pilot wants trial
GIRARD -- The lawyer for a pilot accused of causing a disturbance at the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport wants a jury to hear the case.
Atty. Sam Bluedorn filed the jury demand Monday in Girard Municipal Court on behalf of Gerald Gola, 28, of Detroit. Gola was charged Feb. 1 with misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and inducing panic.
Airport officials said Gola became belligerent while going through security. Gola was the co-pilot on a Ryan International charter heading to Atlantic City.
Zoning change
LORDSTOWN -- Village council has passed a zoning change that limits an auxiliary building's height, based on the lot size.
The zoning code previously limited an auxiliary building, such as a shed or garage, to 16 feet, 6 inches high, regardless of the lot size.
Village officials announced that the village will test its outdoor emergency warning system at 6:30 p.m. Monday.
Council passesordinances for lights
CORTLAND -- City council passed two emergency ordinances Monday to allow Ohio Edison to improve and standardize the lighting on South High Street in both directions from the post office.
The utility company will replace and relocate street lighting north of the post office to Main Street. Ten mast arms will be extended, and 12 mercury vapor street lights will be replaced with high pressure sodium lights, which service director Paul Makosky says are 3 1/2 times brighter.
South of the post office, four lights will be added and two lights will be changed to high-pressure sodium.
Makosky said the changes will make lighting uniform on the entire street.
Council approved a contract of $4,795 to Adam Pavement Marking of Hubbard to paint stripes on city streets.
Alexander's Pest Control of Poland will be paid $6,000 to spray for mosquitoes. Spraying is set to begin May 22 and planned for the first and third Wednesdays of each month, ending Sept. 4.
Mathews schools
VIENNA -- A special meeting of Mathews Board of Education has been scheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday to authorize a lease-purchase agreement for the acquisition of a bus garage and any other matters.
An executive session also will be conducted to discuss the purchase or sale of property, and action will be taken.
The regular meeting has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. April 24.
Cause of fire
MINERAL RIDGE -- An electrical short is being blamed for an early-morning fire at Glen View Manor's assistant-living building on state Route 46.
Randy Pugh, chief of the Weathersfield Fire Department, said one resident in the fourplex was treated for smoke inhalation.
The blaze broke out shortly before 4 a.m., resulting in $3,000 to $4,000 in damage.
The fourplex is separate from the nursing home facility.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.