MiniPage activities meet many state and national educational standards. This week's standards:
MiniPage activities meet many state and national educational standards. This week's standards: Student's comprehend and respond to a variety of images and text. Students identify forms and elements of literature. (Language arts: Reading) Activities:
1. Design your own book cover for one of your favorite books.
2. Find a newspaper story about a young person. Make up a story about that person and why he or she is in the news. Write down your story. Draw a picture to go with it.
3. Interview three friends about the kinds of books they like. Do they prefer fantasy? Science fiction? Biographies? What other type of book? Ask them why they like to read a particular kind of book. Then ask three adults the same questions. Do any of the young people and adults like the same kinds of books?
4. Use reference books or the Internet to find the titles of other Newbery and Caldecott Medal winners. Choose three books you think you would like to read. Why do those books sound interesting?
5. Which books in today's MiniPage are about young people moving to a new place? Which books are about young people and their family members? Which books are about young people taking a trip? Which books tell about real people? Which of the books would you like to read? Why?