VIENNA Fire chief buries dog for couple


The fire chief said he does not know the cause of the blaze that destroyed a township home and killed the couple's dog.
By PEGGY SINKOVICH
VINDICATOR TRUMBULL STAFF
VIENNA -- Fire Chief Richard Brannon says his job doesn't end when the fire is out, and that's why he spent time Monday burying a dog that died in a house fire on Youngstown-Kingsville Road.
The blaze destroyed the home of Pam and Bill Bartholomew and killed their dog.
"I just thought these people have enough to worry about," Brannon said. "I've had 17 dogs and I'm just not the type that is going to point and say 'your dog is over there.'"
Brannon put the dog in a plastic bag and buried it under an apple tree in the Bartholomews' back yard.
Knows most residents: The fire chief said that working for a small department enables firefighters to know most of the township residents.
"When 911 contacted me about the fire I knew right away who lived in the home," Brannon said. "They are good people and it's a shame this happened."
Brannon noted that the Bartholomews left home around 9 a.m. The fire broke out about 20 minutes later.
"We have no idea right now what happened or what caused this," Brannon said. "The house is completely destroyed, so I don't know if we will ever know the exact cause. Right now, I am listing it as undetermined."
Brookfield and Fowler fire departments assisted.
Firefighters were at the scene until 3:30 p.m.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.