facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up

Sorry, no featured jobs currently.

- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

STRUTHERS $6.6 million budget gets city council nod



Published: Thu, March 29, 2001 @ 12:00 a.m.



A new firetruck and dump truck could be among the city's purchases this year.

By PAUL WHEATLEY

VINDICATOR STAFF WRITER

STRUTHERS -- City council approved a 2001 budget of $6.6 million.

That's $500,000 higher than last year's budget and about the same amount as the surplus with which the city ended 2000.

Council President Michael Orenic commended Mayor Dan Mamula for the budget, which saw little revision by council.

Councilman Robert Carcelli, D-at large, said the main revision included a $63,500 appropriation to the park fund to pay for a feasibility study on providing more recreational services, raising the overall park fund to about $119,600.

Carcelli said the city doesn't plan on raising taxes or cutting services this year.

The city plans to add staff.

The budget will support new full-time civilian dispatchers in the police department, a full-time park caretaker, additional police personnel and a juvenile diversion program.

Mamula said additional police officers would be funded with a COPS grant if available -- instead of city funds.

City officials are seeking a state or federal grant to fund 90 percent of a new firetruck, with the city paying the other 10 percent.

Otherwise, Carcelli said, the city is looking at a five-year lease on a firetruck with $50,000 down.

"Overall I'm very happy with what we were able to do with this budget," said Mamula.

Major projects: About $400,000 was earmarked to complete a screening facility at the waste treatment plant and $450,000 was set aside for a submersible pump at the retention basin, with Mahoning County sharing 64 percent of the cost of each project.

The budget includes the replacement of a one-ton dump truck for the street department and a police car, Mamula said.




Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport