BOARDMAN Fireworks debris strikes woman, family's property

A township woman was treated for minor injuries after stray debris burned her arm.
BOARDMAN -- A township family got a little more than it expected from a weekend fireworks display when falling debris landed on its property causing light damage and burning some family members.
A family member was treated for minor injuries at St. Elizabeth Medical Center.
Police reports say Robert Hyde and his wife, Tonya, were watching a fireworks display put on by B.J. Alan Fireworks of Youngstown at the home of another family member late Sunday evening when some stray debris began hitting the Westview Drive home's driveway.
The fireworks were set off from behind Boardman Center Middle School on Market Street.
Charles W. Hyde, the homeowner, told police several items were damaged including a yellow blanket, a cooler and clothes worn by Tonya Hyde.
Injury: Tonya Hyde was wearing a denim jacket that was burned through in several places. She received burns to her left inner forearm and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
Robert Hyde told authorities he too was struck by the falling debris, but reports said he had no physical signs of injury after the incident.
Robert Hyde said the family has not yet sought the advice of legal counsel and, therefore, are reluctant to talk about the situation, though he does not rule out the possibility of a lawsuit.
Bill Weimer, vice president of B.J. Alan, said the company followed all inspection and distance requirements prescribed by local authorities and the state.
"We are obviously terribly sorry about the situation. One injury to one person is one too many. Our company is a very safety-conscious company and if we did not follow the rules then what happened could have been much more severe," Weimer said. "We will get to the bottom of this and double our already stringent safety requirements."
Safe distance: Weimer said the distance the crowd is required to be removed from the area where fireworks will be ignited is determined by the size of the firework's shell. There must be 70 feet between spectators for every inch of shell size. He said the company used 3- to 4-inch shells.
Township fire investigators also are investigating.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.