AUSTINTOWN Children inhale chemicals
One of the five children involved was in guarded condition today.
AUSTINTOWN -- Five children were taken to the hospital Monday night after they inhaled a mix of bleach and drain cleaner at a township home.
Four of the children -- ages 12, 11, 7, and 5 -- were in fair condition.
The other child, 13, is in guarded condition but expected to make a full recovery, a spokesman at Forum Health Northside Medical Center said.
The hospital wouldn't release the names of the children. However, fire reports identified four of the children as Alyssa Faber, 7, Ryan Mierzwa, 12, both of 82 Kenmar Court, Brian Boerio, age and address not given, and Donivan Stevens, 12, of New Road.
The symptoms: Fire reports say the children were short of breath and suffering from chemical burns when the fire department arrived at 9:21 p.m. at 72 Kenmar Court.
Concerned neighbors were at the house and checking on the children.
Austintown police said the department has begun an investigation.