facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

SALEM Man in serious condition after being caught in basement blaze



Published: Mon, July 16, 2001 @ 12:00 a.m.



Vapors from gasoline stored in the house may have triggered the fire.

SALEM -- A city man is in serious condition in an Akron hospital today after a fire at his home.

Firefighters were called about 3:09 p.m. Sunday to the home of Brad Lewis, 696 E. Sixth St.

Lewis was in the basement of the house when a fire ignited and caught his clothes on fire.

He ran from the basement and outside, where a passing motorist stopped and helped him remove his clothing.

Firefighters found him lying in the yard. Lewis was taken to Salem Community Hospital and then to Akron Children's Hospital Burn Unit.

Fire Chief Walt Greenamyer said vapors from gasoline stored in the basement in plastic containers may have sparked the fire.

The vapors could have come in contact with a gas hot water heater's pilot light, igniting the flames, Greenamyer explained.

He added that gasoline should never be stored in a house.

Firefighters confined the blaze mostly to the basement. Loss has been estimated at about $10,000.




Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport