Through the years with one of the Valley's oldest restaurant chains:
1920: James Pappas founds the business in downtown Youngstown.
1949: Downtown Jay's began serving liquor and opened 24 hours.
1960: Sam Petrakos marries the founder's niece, Marina Pappas, and joins the business.
1965: Racial riots in Youngstown force the owners to close at night, setting a 2:30 a.m. closing time.
1969: Frank Petrakos joins his brother Sam in the business.
1980: Jay's moves from downtown to Boardman.
1984: Store opens on Mahoning Avenue on Youngstown's West Side.
1986: Store opens on Mahoning Avenue in Austintown.
1988: Jay's returns to downtown, opening a store in the Phar-Mor Plaza.
1990: Store opens in Campbell.
2001: Jay's first franchise store opens in Niles.