hClinton fans scramble to collect trading cards
hClinton fans scrambleto collect trading cards
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. -- The lineup started at 6 a.m. Friday for fans jockeying to be among the first to own a Bill Clinton trading card, two of which are pictured above.
When the doors to the convention center opened seven hours later, 1,200 people had gathered to watch the former president's stepfather, Dick Kelley, accept the first baseball-style card.
"I want to tell ya, I'm one of the proudest guys that ever came down the pike," Kelley said.
The cards depict Clinton in three poses, describe the former president's ties to Hot Springs and include a sales pitch for the town.
"These will be collector's items one of these days," said Ed James, 76, while waiting in line.
Clinton said he's delighted.
"Hot Springs is very special to me and I'm proud to support the city," Clinton said.
Critics decry expenseof online voting project
WASHINGTON -- A $6.2 million Pentagon experiment to let overseas soldiers vote by Internet last year netted just 84 ballots -- a cost of nearly $74,000 per voter.
"It was an awful lot of money for the small number of votes," said Hans von Spakovsky, a lawyer who is vice-chairman of the Fulton County election board in Atlanta.
The Pentagon said the experiment was a success, and said any criticisms are misguided. The experiment was designed to test the feasibility of Internet voting, not save money, the officials said.
"This is a demonstration project that was to prove the concept as opposed to looking at it on a cost-per-vote basis," Defense Department spokeswoman Susan Hansen said Friday.
In addition to cost, critics are also assailing the experiment's security, alleging it lacked basic guards against viruses, hackers and fraud -- particularly those launched against voters' home computers.
"The Internet just simply is not secure," said Philadelphia computer consultant Rebecca Mercuri, who studied online voting for her 2000 computer science doctorate at the University of Pennsylvania.
Hansen said the test wasn't meant to guard against every possible security threat.
Man who imprisonedwife on boat sentenced
EVERETT, Wash. -- A man accused of keeping his wife imprisoned on a filthy sailboat for more than two decades was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison.
Victor David, 61, was given the maximum sentence for second-degree assault.
Linda David, 52, was left blind and brain-damaged, with her body contorted by broken limbs.
"I find there was no sentence that is proportional to the offenses, and there is certainly no sentence that this court can give [to give] Linda David her life back," said Snohomish County Superior Court Judge Thomas Wynne.
The woman requires around-the-clock care at a nursing facility. A court order permanently bars the husband from attempting contact.
Victor David has denied abusing her, saying she fell frequently.
Linda David was removed from his decrepit sailboat in 1997, after 24 years, after intervention by a state social worker.
For years, Victor David had collected $500 a month from the state for serving as his wife's caregiver.
Last August, the state agreed to pay Linda David $8.8 million to settle a negligence lawsuit.
Serb officer arrested
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- A Bosnian Serb commander was arrested and sent to the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal Friday to face genocide charges for crimes against Muslims in the former U.N. enclave of Srebrenica in 1995.
Col. Vidoje Blagojevic, a former commander in the eastern Bosnian town of Bratunac, was arrested by British NATO forces early Friday and arrived in the U.N. detention unit near The Hague, Netherlands some eight hours later.
Blagojevic was secretly indicted alongside Bosnian Serb Gen. Radislav Krstic in November 1998. He has been charged with eight counts of war crimes for genocide, complicity to genocide, extermination, murder, persecution deportation and inhumane acts.
The tribunal convicted its first genocide suspect just over a week ago, finding Krstic guilty of the massacre of 8,000 men and boys from Srebrenica in July 1995. Krstic was sentenced to 46 years in prison in the first ruling to classify the events in Bosnia as genocide.
Blagojevic commanded troops in the Drina Corps, which operated under Krstic's command, the indictment said.